A Boy's life

Tuesday, November 25, 2008


I have to admit I did not have high hopes for Howard Korder’s Boy’s Life. In fact I was convinced that it would be a non-musical version of [title of show] and as my collogues in my writing class know, I was not really too fond of [title of show] to put it nicely. However, I was pleasantly surprised by Boy’s Life. First of all it starred Jason Biggs from American Pie fame, but more importantly, at least to me, Stephanie March from Law and Order: SVU played a bit part. My college classmates do not know this but when I was a junior in high school I was obsessed with L&W: SVU. I watched every episode-old and new, I knew the names and the minute details about the characters and the actors who played them and Stephanie March was one of my favorite female actresses and even though I have since turned my attention to another actress, it was a pleasant surprise seeing Ms. March on stage. I resisted the urge to run onstage in order to prove to myself that it was really her.
The play centers around three “men” Jack, Don, and Phil who physically appear to be men but their actions and thought processes reveal how immature they truly are. One character, Jack, played by Rhys Coiro is married with a young son but he continues to live as if he were a freshman in college. He flirts with other women and he verbally abuses his son. He spends most of his time with his friends Don (Peter Scanavino) and Phil. (Jason Briggs). Don has severe inferiority issues and has a deep desire to be somebody. Phil, like the others is lost, but in a more enduring way. He’s like a small child trying to find his way in the world. It is a little unsetting that he is a “grown” man and still seems to be at a loss with what to do with his life.
Nevertheless, despite the serious themes in the play, it was quite hilarious. I found myself literally laughing out loud. The weekend of November 9th was not a great one for me, but for an hour and a half I was able to forget my troubles and have a good time.
This was also my last trip to NYC with my writing 100 class and as expected I was sad. I had so much fun with this class and getting to know my classmates a little better. It really did aid me in my transition into college!