My Adventure to New York to see "In The Heights"

Thursday, September 18, 2008

“Beep, Beep, Beep” were the first sounds I heard at 5:50 a.m. as I arose to my alarm clock and prepared for my trip to fabulous New York City. Still groggy, I gathered my clothes and applied my make up before walking to the Johnston Hall Parking Lot where I met my fellow classmates. At approximately 6:45, we arrived at the Industrial Park Bus Terminal where I enjoyed a delicious coffee cake with bits of cinnamon that burst throughout my mouth! We loaded the bus at 7:00 a.m. and began our lengthy trip to the city.

Much to my surprise, I fell asleep for the entire bus ride and I awoke as we went through the dim Lincoln Tunnel. As we departed the bus at around 9:15, we walked through Port Authority and were welcomed by Professor Shosh. He had given us a scavenger hunt that helped us learn more about the Broadway district. With a “on your marks, get set, go” Meredith, Claire and I were off to complete the extensive scavenger hunt. The scavenger hunt was exhausting, fun, and full of challenging questions. As we were walking, we heard classic New York City sounds. The taxis were honking their horns while trying to get to their destination. The sewer steam hissed as busy people walked over it and the diversity of New York was heard as people talked in their native tongue. Along with the noises, I noticed several distinctive smells signature to the city.

While completing our scavenger hunt we walked past several restaurants, bakeries and food stands. The sweet smell of sugared nuts wafted through my nose while migrating through the various nut stands. Garlic was another distinctive smell that filled the air as we hurriedly passed the many Italian restaurants. New York also had unpleasant smells such as diesel that wafted through the air as well. By 11:30 Meredith, Claire and I decided to find the Film Center Café where we would meet Professor Shosh and our classmates. The film Center Café was beautifully decorated with dark blue walls, mahogany booths and beautiful sculptures. After deciding what to order, I enjoyed chatting with my classmates about the scavenger hunt and what they learned about Broadway. I quickly ate my savory Belgian Waffle and at around 1:30 p.m., we made our way to In The Heights. As we walked, Professor Shosh told me about restaurant row and I soon realized that I had eaten there before. When we came to Richard Rodgers Theatre my excitement grew and I could not wait to sit in those infamous red velvet seats. We found our seats and soon after, the performance began.

In The Heights amazed me from beginning to end. The opening number consisted of a rap performed by the talented Lin-Manuel Miranda. The set was decorated with colorful buildings and the Washington Bridge was beautifully displayed in the background. The lightning effects really added to the performance; especially during “The “Club/Fireworks” scene. My favorite part of the musical was when the character Nina performed “Everything I Know”. This scene touched my heart because it reminded me of the relationship I have with my parents. As I listened to Nina sing, I could not help but to cry because I missed my parents so much. However, I quickly forgot my sadness as the musical moved into the “Finale” which was filled with wonderful choreography and up-beat music. The audience celebrated as the last verse was sung and the actors and actresses took their bows. In The Heights was a wonderful story full of exciting songs, great effects, and extremely talented performers.

After being engulfed in Lin-Manuel Miranda’s story, it was time to face reality and walk back to Port Authority in the dismal rain. My classmates and I said our goodbyes to Professor Shosh and our chaperones and loaded the busses once again at 5:15 p.m. On the way home, I listened to my iPod and reflected on the day’s events and I gradually fell asleep. At 8:00, I arrived back at Moravian and walked to the safety and comfort of my small dorm room.